The headquarters of Aenos National Park Management Body is located in Argostoli, the capital of Kefalonia Ionian Island. This is a Legal Entity of Private Law, which has been established according to Laws No 2742/1999 (case 15, paragraph 10, Article 15) and 4519/2018. The Management Body has been established according to Law No 4109/2013 (case h,’ paragraph 1, Article 8). Its operation has been sequentially extended according firstly to Law No 4109/2013 (paragraph 20, Article 8), and secondly to Laws No 4342/2015 (Article 36) and No 4447/2016 (Article 16).
The management competence of (MB) consists of:
- Provisioning of information and reasoned opinion, during the preparation of management plans, and their application; monitoring, update and evaluation for sustainable development and protection of “Natura 2000” natural capital. The correlated legislation comprises the Joint Ministerial Decisions 3318/3028/11.12.1998 (Β’ 1289), 14849/853/Ε103/4.4.2008 (Β’ 645), 37338/1807 /Ε103/ 1.9.2010 (Β’ 1495) and 8353/276/Ε103/17.2.2012 (Β’ 415), which have incorporated the Council Directives 92/43/ΕEC and 2009/147/ΕC for ecotopes and wild birds respectively.
- Preparation of an annual report on the Protected Areas, with priority given to the preservation conditions of endangered species and protected objects, as well as to the implementation of the provided actions.
- Preparation once every three years, of evaluation reports about protected areas setting regulations, the content of which is determined by Decisions of the Minister of Environment and Energy.
- Find, secure and create funding tools for the promotion of new local patterns and actions in progress.
- Effective, transparency oriented, sound management of the (MBPAs) income sources, aiming to improve the degree of protected objects conservation, the integrated management of the assigned areas and the enhancement of local sustainable development.
- Conducting studies and research, as well as executing technical or other type of projects included in the familiar management plans, in order to protect, conserve, restore and promote protected objects falling within the (MB) area of responsibility.
- Consideration for data collection, classification and elaboration of intangible cultural heritage and environmental issues within the (MB) area of responsibility. It is then required to forward these data to the Ministry of Environment and Energy, to create a source of feedback, necessary for updating management plans as mentioned in paragraph (i).
- Provisioning of reasoned opinions through environmental licensing procedure of projects and activities falling within (MB) protected areas of responsibility, or affecting either directly or indirectly the protected objects.
- Perform an expert based evaluation within thirty-five (35) days after the written communication of the competent authorities, about projects or activities falling within (MB) protected areas of responsibility that are not subjected to environmental licensing. In case of no opinion expressed within the deadline, it is presumed (MBPA)’s agreement.
- Perform an expert based evaluation whenever the authorities involved needed it.
- (MBPA) consultation with local community, productive entities and any other entity involved within (MB) protected areas of responsibility, in a case-by-case basis, both during the implementation of Special Environmental Studies (SES), or drafts of presidential decrees for protected areas and management plans, as well as in any other case is needed, to achieve integrated management, effective protection and promotion of protected areas values, and incorporation of environmental parameters to local standards development.
- (MBPA) adoption for assumption and execution of national, European and international projects and activities correlated with (MB) protected areas of responsibility, in order to upgrade and promote Protected Areas Management Body (MBPA) goals.
- Citizens and local entities awareness and information about (MBPA) goals and projects. In this context, (MBPA) may establish and operate information centers and support publishing activity in either printed or electronic form.
- The organization and participation in training and educational programs, as well as conferences, workshops, seminars and other information events for the promotion and designation of the protected objects and sustainable eco-development within (MB) area of responsibility.
- (MBPA) assistance to administrative or judicial authorities to apply the use of legislation in environmental control (forest, fisheries and hunting legislation), and environmental and urban conditions, through projects or activities within (MB) area of responsibility. For this reason, (MBPA) propose or report to the authorities, acts or omissions within protected sites, that constitute violation of Presidential Decrees’ conditions and restrictions, as issued and authorized by applicable Law No 1650/1986 (Α’ 160, Article 21). In addition, (MBPA) may dispose to the competent authorities, all necessary staff and means required for the execution of decisions that impose sanctions or other measures for sites protection.
- The management of public land, assigned or leased by (MBPA), and private lands purchase or rental, within (MB) area of responsibility. The implementation of all necessary interventions prescribed by the regulations of case (xiii), paragraph 1, Article 6, for administration, operation and management planning.
- The approval of guided tours activities within (MBPA) area of responsibility.
- The assistance in administration of licenses for scientific research, technical tests and analysis of (MBPA) protected objects, in collaboration with competent administrative authorities under the necessary condition, to fully communicate (MBPA) the results of the analysis, once completed.
- The support of programs and actions in ecotourism, to emerge and promote primary sector local products, in collaboration with other public or private bodies in charge.
- The collaboration with all authorities in charge (Police, Fire Brigade, forest and port authorities) to hold joint vigils within (MBPA) area of responsibility.
- The construction and maintenance of mountain trails in accordance with current legislation.