EUROPEAN FOREST INSTITUTE
Management Body of Mt. Aenos National Park is member of European Forest Institute (EFI) Network Fund
The European Forest Institute is an international organisation, established by European States.
- 29 European States have ratified the Convention on EFI.
- EFI has c.130 Associate and Affiliate Member organisations in 40 countries.
- The Headquarters is in Joensuu, Finland, and it also has offices in Barcelona, Bonn and Brussels as well as project offices in Malaysia and China.
- EFI facilitate and stimulate forest-related networking and promote the dissemination of unbiased and policy-relevant information on forests and forestry.
- We also advocate for forest research and for the use of scientifically sound information as a basis for forest policies.
Our work in the field of policy support includes enhanced support for decision takers and policy makers. We host the EU FLEGT Facility which supports the EU Forest Law Enforcement Governance and Trade (FLEGT) process in developing countries, related to the implementation of the EU FLEGT Action Plan. We also host the EU REDD Facility, which supports partner countries in improving land use governance as part of their effort to slow, halt and reverse deforestation.
With the participation of the Management Body in EFI, it will be possible to develop better cooperation with other forest areas of Europe, in order to exchange views, improve management practices, educate-train staff, properly use forest resources, effectively communicate with visitors about the specific characteristics of each area. The participation of the Management Body in the EFI will have multiple benefits for the local community of Kefalonia, since members of the management body’s staff will have the opportunity to discuss with foresters / European forest and forest managers about common problems related to the implementation of sustainable management in the National Park of Ainos, its promotion, the certification of local products, etc., and to propose measures and solutions, taking into account the protection of the environment, the proper use of natural resources, the needs of the inhabitants of Kefalonia, local businesses and visitors.
Finally, we hope in the future for a permanent and fruitful cooperation with public and private bodies, but also with all users of the protected areas of Kefalonia-Ithaca, always with the aim of promoting the National Park of Mt. Aenos and the other Protected Areas of Kefalonia-Ithaca both in Greece and abroad.